Whoa, it’s been a while… I don’t know where the time has gone but I’ve just realised that it’s suddenly February and I haven’t made a post since GameCity. I think it’s time for an update.
Last week I attended the GameCity festival in Nottingham, and it was a blast! I met a lot of really nice people there; people who make, play and write about games. It was the first outing I’d had showing a game in public, and the first actual public test of Laser Bash, so suffice to say I was both excited and terrified in nearly equal measure.
I thought it would be a good idea to start posting up some of the problems I run into while developing the game, along with the solution I manage to eventually come up with. It might come in handy for anyone reading, and at the very least it’s useful for me to write this stuff down for future reference.
I’ve been working on the scripting of the game logic for beginnings and ends of rounds, and I came across a bit of a puzzle. At the end of a round, I need to be able to use the player’s scores (stored in an array) to find the winner of the round. It’s a simple enough task, but the solution took me a surprising amount of effort to arrive at. The solution I came up with was so simple I’m wondering why I didn’t come up with it to begin with.
I spent part of my weekend designing and implementing the first powerup. I had a loose idea of how it would work beforehand, but I took some time to reevaluate how it should function in the game.
Players will be able to drop this powerup like a Mario Kart banana, and then when it is active, players who get too close to it will get sucked in like a black hole and destroyed when they reach the center.
For the past two or so weeks, progress on Laser Bash has been really slow, and that’s been pretty frustrating. It’s mainly due to work and life commitments stacking up in a way that leaves me with very little time to work on the game, but it’s also due to me being at a point at which some important decisions have to be made on what direction I want the game to go in before I go any further.
This evening I finally got around to redo the way movement input is handled in the game. By this I mean the way the game interprets the information it receives from a gamepad analog stick. The current implementation works, but it could be better.